Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a Case Manager?

Our Case Managers are called Service and Support Associates (SSAs). They work with eligible individuals and their families to coordinate services and supports. If you would like to request SSA services, please call us at (419) 221-1385 and ask to speak to an Intake Specialist.

Is there funding for the help I need?

Allen County Board of Developmental Disabilities receives local, state, and federal tax dollars to help meet the needs of people with developmental disabilities. Once you are eligible for services, we’ll work with you and talk about what programs may best meet your needs.
Some of the resources you may be eligible for include:
• Assistance provided by private insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, or other community resources
• Individual Support Services
Medicaid Waivers

To find out if you are eligible for services, please call us at (419) 221-1385 and ask to speak to an Intake Specialist.

What do I need to get Supplemental Security Income or Medicaid?

Individuals seeking Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits can apply by contacting the Social Security Office:
• Call (800) 223-0288 to talk to someone on the phone.
• Go to to apply online.
• Visit the Social Security office at 401 W. North St. Lima, OH 45801.

Individuals seeking Medicaid, food stamps, or other social services can apply for these benefits by calling the Allen County Department of Job and Family Services at (419) 228-2621 or visiting its office at 951 Commerce Pkwy, Lima, OH 45804.

Our Intake/Support Service Coordinators here at ACBDD can assist you with the application process or answer your questions. Call us at (419) 221-1385, and ask to speak with Intake.

Does my child or family member need a guardian? Are there other alternatives?

The Allen County Probate Court handles the application and appointment process for legal guardianship. Over the past year, there have been many changes in Ohio with the guardianship process. There are alternatives to guardianship, like power of attorney or Supported Decision Making by a team or a person who knows the individual well. We encourage you to look into these alternatives before considering legal guardianship. To learn more about guardianship in Ohio, please see this booklet.

For information on legal guardianship, contact the Allen County Probate Court at 419-223-8501.

To learn more about Supported Decision Making, give us a call at (419) 221-1385 and ask to speak with Intake. If you have an assigned SSA, contact them to help with your questions.

Can you help me find a job?

We do not provide direct vocational services; however, we do fund many types of vocational services. We also partner with several agencies that provide vocational services to job seekers with developmental disabilities. Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) is the state agency that contracts with companies in the area to provide job development, job coaching, and other vocational supports. You can contact OOD at (419) 228-1421.

Individuals enrolled in our services may receive assistance with coordinating vocational supports from their Service and Support Associates (SSA). Individuals enrolled on Medicaid waivers or receiving Individual Support Services (ISS) may be able to receive ongoing vocational supports funded by local dollars or a combination of local and Medicaid dollars. Contact your SSA for more information.

If you do not currently receive our supports and would like to find out if you’re eligible for vocational services, call (419) 221-1385 and ask to speak to an Intake Specialist.

My child was just diagnosed with a developmental disability. What should I do next?

Depending on the age of your child and the diagnosis, there are a variety of community resources available to your family. Our Intake/Support Service Coordinator, who serves children and their families, will refer you to appropriate resources and assess your child’s eligibility for services from Allen County Board of Developmental Disabilities. Call us at (419) 221-1385, and ask to speak with the Intake Specialist that works with children.

We also offer Early Intervention services for babies, birth to age 3. Call (419) 221-1262 to inquire about these services for your young child.

I want to live on my own. How can I do this?

Our Service and Support Associates (SSAs) help individuals plan and coordinate their residential and community supports. If a person has significant needs, then typically Medicaid waivers are the desired funding source; however, many factors are taken into consideration for Medicaid waiver enrollment. The support and services that each individual needs can be very different. SSAs help develop person-centered plans that address what is important to and for you. Talk to your SSA if you are interested in living on your own.

If you don’t have an SSA, please call us at (419) 221-1385 and ask to speak to an Intake Specialist.

Do you provide preschool services?

No, we do not provide preschool services. However, your child may qualify for preschool services through your local school district. You can call your school district and ask to speak with the Special Education Supervisor to find out if your child qualifies. We do provide some services and supports to children age 3 and older. Contact us if you are interested in other services for young children.

The Allen County Educational Services Center preschool is located on our campus. If you are interested in this option, please contact your local school district.

Can I enroll my child at Marimor School?
All referrals for Marimor School must come from the school district where you reside. You can call your school district and ask to speak to the Special Education Supervisor about your child’s educational needs.