Intake & Eligibility

What is a Developmental Disability?

Intake and Eligibility

Intake & EligibilityDevelopmental disabilities start before the age of 22, and include lifelong intellectual or physical disabilities. Federal and state laws officially define a developmental disability as a severe and chronic disability attributable to a mental or physical impairment other than mental illness, manifested before age 22, likely to continue indefinitely, and resulting in substantial limitations in major life activities.

Want to find out if you or someone you know is eligible for services?

The steps to eligibility:

  1. Call the Allen County Board of DD 419-221-1385 and ask for the Intake Department. If the person is under three years of age, contact Early Intervention at 419-221-1262, ext. 1017.
  2. Provide Proof of Disability. The most recent school, medical, and psychological reports will have proof that a person has a disability. Our Intake Coordinators will assist individuals/families in gathering these records.
  3. Visit and Overview. Once records show that a person has a disability, an Intake Coordinator will meet with you or your family member. They will listen and ask questions, and if the individual is six years or older, they will use state tools to further evaluate eligibility. They will review a person’s abilities in mobility, learning, self-care, self-direction, communication, capacity for independent living and economic self-sufficiency (ages 16 and up only.) Eligibility redetermination takes place at ages three, six, and 10 with reviews and redeterminations as needed. This means you or your family member might not always be eligible for services.
  4. Eligible or not eligible. Our goal is to complete the process in 30 days, but this depends on how quickly the family provides records confirming a developmental disability. You will receive a letter telling you if you are eligible or not. If you are eligible, we will help you access the services you need. If you are not found eligible, you have the right to appeal and the agency will try to help you find other services.