National Disability Awareness Month
In 1987, President Ronald Reagan declared March to be Developmental Disabilities Awareness month – encouraging “all Americans to join me in according to our fellow citizens with such disabilities both encouragement and the opportunities they need to lead productive lives and to achieve their full potential.”
Not only are we taking this time to help generate awareness of different disabilities, we are celebrating the uniqueness of every individual! Regardless of disability, people with intellectual and developmental disabilities are making their voices heard, creating an impact on their communities and creating a life for themselves they may not have otherwise been able to realize in years past.
The Allen County Board of Developmental Disabilities works to promote, enhance and develop the lives of residents of the Allen County community. Our programs range from providing in-home early intervention for young children who may need some help meeting their milestone to providing on-the-job training for individuals with intellectual disabilities. From school supports and family resources to vocational training and respite care, we are creating tools and programs to enhance the lives of individuals and caregivers in our community.
How can YOU support individuals with disabilities?
- Open your workplace to employ individuals with disabilities. Partner with the Project SEARCH or Summer Youth Program to help build professional development skills.
- Support businesses that employ people with disabilities and make sure they know you noticed.
- Take a moment to educate yourself and others about the needs of individuals with disabilities in our community.
- Volunteer or donate.
- Many people with disabilities rely on publicly funded services to fully participate in their communities. Let policy makers know you would like them to support our programs.
- Make sure your words and actions are respectful of those with disabilities. Encourage others to refrain from using derogatory words and be respectful of differences.